Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Abortion kills.....but so does one issue voting

The issue that always, always, pops up around elections is abortion, and sometimes, if I'm real lucky, around other seasons, too. I want to say right off the bat that I am pro-life. I have always been pro-life, and I don't see myself changing anytime in the foreseeable future. I claim this is what I am, and I feel strongly about this, but I almost feel it's small potatoes in comparison to other issues facing the United States; the war in Iraq, the health care dilemma, education, the economy going to pieces, just to name a few.

So, all that being said, it's articles like these that get my blood boiling. Without making you read the whole thing, I'll summarize: Bishop Joseph Martino of Scranton, Pennsylvania, writes a letter, asks it be placed in all bulletins for that Sunday and read in place of the Homily. Sounds all well and good. I mean, Bishop has something he wants out there, he's a higher ranking official, if you will, in the Catholic Church, I'll give a listen. Then I read it and I think, maybe not. In this wonderful little letter, the Bishop tells Catholics that "another argument goes like this: 'As wrong as abortion is, I don't think it is the only relevant ‘life’ issue that should be considered when deciding for whom to vote.' This reasoning is sound only if other issues carry the same moral weight as abortion does. . .Consider this: The finest health and education systems, the fairest immigration laws, and the soundest economy do nothing for the child who never sees the light of day."

What I want to know is this: what about the people who are already seeing the light of day? Mayhaps some people are having abortions because they can't actually afford to take care of the child? Wonder if having an abortion has something to do with no health insurance to cover the delivery? How can the lives of the already born not be a moral issue? How can voting on one simple little issue when there are so many out there that need attention even be considered?

But, okay. He feels strongly about this. I can......somehow......find it in me to.......forgive that. Bishop Martino quoting other Bishops with quotes such as this: "The taking of innocent human life is so heinous, so horribly evil, and so absolutely opposite to the law of Almighty God that abortion must take precedence over every other issue. I repeat. It is the single most important issue confronting not only Catholics, but the entire electorate" make it extremely hard, but, okay. I'm not in Scranton, PA, and even if I were, I don't necessarily have to listen to the guy. It's not until another little nugget of God knows what rolls around that I actually start to feel ashamed of some of the people who share characteristics with me: "While the Church assists the State in the promotion of a just society, its primary concern is to assist men and women in achieving salvation. For this reason, it is incumbent upon bishops to correct Catholics who are in error regarding these matters. Furthermore, public officials who are Catholic and who persist in public support for abortion and other intrinsic evils should not partake in or be admitted to the sacrament of Holy Communion. As I have said before, I will be vigilant on this subject."

I guess no one ever gave Bishop Martino a 'what would Jesus do?' bracelet, huh?

That sentiment, that belief, that statement is just so unequivocally wrong that it honestly disgusts me. I'm not sure how much you may know about Communion and the like, but it's a big deal in Catholicism. Generally, you're not supposed to receive Communion should you have mortal sin on your soul. I feel that what is and what isn't is highly debatable, but denying someone that sacrament because they happen to disagree on an issue? What the hell? If THAT isn't telling you what political party you should be a part of, then I don't know what is. Next thing you know every homosexual that comes through who happens to not practice abstinence because, ya know, they happen to be in love, will now be denied Communion as well because the Church is against the practice of homosexuality.

*sigh* I digress; this is turning into a bit of a tangent.

I suppose my original point in all this is that every little detail needs to be looked at when it comes to deciding who you want to vote for. If you feel passionately about abortion, I think that's great. So many people are apathetic that I think anyone standing up for what they believe in is honorable. What isn't honorable is letting that topic blind you. It is my sincere belief that if anyone ever wants abortion to be at it's lowest, then making it illegal is not the way to go. Likewise, I feel it is unfair and terribly misinformed of anyone to claim that no issue is as important as abortion.

Therefore, I want everyone to step up and tell me three issues that are important to them and why they are. If we step away from one issue voting and closer to all issues voting, I really think we'll be closer to a much better world.

No comments: